Sunday, November 2, 2008

Pot Roast

Its fall. The leaves are changing, the air is getting brisk and its time to put something warm and fulfilling on the dining room table. I had a few ideas that I wanted to make tonight, but there was only one thing that I was absolutely craving. Pot Roast! It had been a year since I last made this dish, and with such a great turn over with the Roshashana Brisket- it seemed like the ideal candidate.

So, off we went. The old Whole Foods by us that used to once be at a walking distance, now is operating within driving distance and is twice the size . I love going to the supermarket. Yeah, I am a weirdo- but nothing thrills me than going to a brand new store, especially when it happens to be your favorite. There were so many different varieties of the same thing. I bought a bag of mixed peppercorns, for something I will definitely try at another date.Their meat market is super fantastic. There were so many different types of fresh meat available Yippeee!!. Anyway, I got home and decided to get cooking right away. Since a pot roast takes a good 2 1/2 hrs to cook, it was exactly 4 pm and I also wanted to cook dessert.

Pot Roast
Serves 4

2 1/2 lb chuck roast
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup red wine
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
1 whole red onion sliced fine
Handful of baby carrots whole
6 small (tiny, or small red pot.) yukon gold potatoes, quartered
1 cup plum/vine chopped tomatoes
3 small pressed garlic cloves
Salt & Pepper

Pre Heat the oven to 325 degrees

Heat the dutch oven with a little bit of oil. Rub salt and black pepper all over the chuck and then sear it on both sides. About 5 mins on each side. Remove from pan. Throw in the garlic, and then the onions. Sautee the onions with the garlic till the onions are very soft. Mix in the broth, red wine and add the meat back into the pot. Then put in the ketchup & Worcestershire sauce. Mix and let it simmer.Remove from the stove and place right into the oven. Let it cook for 60 mins. Add the potatoes and the carrots. Cook another 50 mins or till veggies are cooked through.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

New Ideas? Alterations? Substitutes? I wanna know!