Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tacos Al Carbon




The reason I love Whole Foods is because of the quality of their meat. I almost never know what I am going to make when I buy different cuts of beef. With chicken, I stock up because its the only meant I feel confident in. I can do anything with chicken and it turns out good. For the better part of my life, I was "beef-free." In restaurants, I would order steaks and in diners, burgers. As the years passed, I attempted to cook it myself. Flank steak is my favorite cut of meat. There is just so much you can do with it. It cooks fast, marinates well and if cooked just right, it will absolutely melt in your mouth. However, I almost wish that I had made this on Sunday instead of Monday. This took longer than I thought it would for a week night. I was in the kitchen for an hour and a half. That is a long time, when you get home at 7pm.

Tacos al Carbon adapted from myrecipes.com

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion (about 1 medium)

1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

4 garlic cloves, minced/I used Garlic Press
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream

Preparation

Marinate the steak first. Rub the Steak with salt, pepper & garlic. Pour lime jui
ce in the mix and rub well. Let marinate for 30-40 minutes. With marinating red meat, the longer the better. I was in a hurry, so I let the steak marinate, while I prepared the rest of the veggies.

Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add bell pepper to pan, and cook 4 minutes. Add onion to pan, and sauté 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Place pepper mixture in a large bowl; cover and keep warm.
Add beef to pan; cook 7 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Add to pepper mixture. Add chili powder, to bowl; toss to coat.
Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spoon steak mixture evenly over 8 tortillas. Top each taco with about 1 teaspoon cilantro and 2 1/4 teaspoons sour cream.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Ideas? Alterations? Substitutes? I wanna know!