Monday, April 6, 2009

Moist Black Mission Fig Cake


My father loves figs. I never personally ever found this fruit appealing in the least. Growing up, I chose "brighter" fruits. I chose mangoes, guavas, papayas & pomegranates. Figs lacked the visual appeal I needed in order to try new fruits. Recently though I discovered that figs are packed with nutrition. This cake looked so good when I found the recipe on bread &honey, that I had to try and make my own version. Figs are delicious, healthy & a wonderful afternoon snack. I also added a bit of flaxseed powder for a power boost! BAM! high-fiber cake that tastes out of this world! This cake though, is moist because of its buttery goodness. I should have added more figs to compensate, but there is always next time right? I know that I will be making this cake often with different dried fruits.

Moist Black Mission Fig Cake:
adapted from bread-and-honey.blogspot.com
Ingredients:

16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup honey
4 large eggs
1/4 th cup yogurt
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped dried black mission figs
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons flaxseed powder (optional)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 or 10-inch Bundt pan and dust with flour.With an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth, 1 minute with a stand mixer or 3 minutes with a hand held mixer. Add the granulated sugar and honey and mix until blended. Mix in the eggs one at a time, combining well between each addition. Stir in the yogurt.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt & flaxseed powder. On low speed, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined. In a small bowl, mix together the figs and brown sugar.

Spread one-third of the batter into the prepared pan. Place half of the figs evenly over the batter. Gently spread another third of the batter on top. Spread the remaining figs and then the remaining batter in the pan.

Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Be sure to test a couple areas in the cake. If you skewer a fig the skewer will be wet. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes. Unmold by placing a large plate on top of the pan, inverted the pan and plate together, and then removing the pan.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. That looks DELICIOUS Resh.....a MUST try. I like how you added flax seed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to add...my dad LOVES figs too. Anjeer right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This fig cake looks divine! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you, both of you!!!! yes anjeer. I think its an older person fruit. As i am starting to like it now myself. One can use flax seed in any kind of baking. I try to atleast. :)

    ReplyDelete

New Ideas? Alterations? Substitutes? I wanna know!